Looking for Snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns? Fitzroy Island is perfect location for families where you can snorkel right off the beach (instead of jumping off a boat into the open ocean).
Unlike smaller sand cays like Green Island, Fitzroy Island was once part of mainland Australia. Part of the Great Barrier Reef has formed around Fitzroy Island, with amazing snorkeling, fish and coral only meters from the shore.
Its mountains and rainforest are protected as Fitzroy Island National Park, with easy walking tracks to the Secret Garden and Nudey Beach. And longer treks to the island’s lighthouse, or the summit.
Fitzroy Island has more to see and more to do on your family holiday to the Great Barrier Reef.
- Great Barrier Reef Cruise to Fitzroy Island
- Snorkelling gear with mask and flippers
- Beach hire equipment such as paddle skis, stand up paddle boards and the ocean trampoline
- Packed picnic lunch
Snorkeling Great Barrier Reef at Fitzroy Island Bonus Beach Hire
- take the kids for a ride on a paddle ski
- jump on the ocean trampoline
- try stand up paddle boarding
Half Day Great Barrier Reef Snorkelling At Fitzroy Island Prices
2 Adults and 2 Children
|Child 4-14 years||$74|
Family rate saves $55
Infants 0-3 travel free but must be pre-booked.
Prices valid to 31st March 2019.
Total price includes a levy of $5 per person for recovery of Fitzroy Island facilities licence fees, admin costs & charges.
Half Day Great Barrier Reef Snorkelling Depart Daily From
- Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal 11.00am located in the heart of the city at the end of Spence Street.
- Fitzroy Island 2.00pm returning to Cairns at approximately 3:00pm
Return bus transfers from the Reef Fleet are available from $19 to Cairns Hotels and $22 to Northern Beaches hotels.
Packed Picnic Lunch
Lunch includes a piece of seasonal fruit, muesli fruit bar, juice and bottle of water.
Choose from the following picnic lunches:
• Cold option – chicken salad wrap + ham cheese roll
• Hot option – Japanese beef and potato curry
• Dietary options vegetarian, celiac, gluten, pork free
Lunch for infants is available for $20pp as they travel on ferry for free.
Can we suggest something
Hire Snorkel Gear On The Day?
Our cheapest family price including the cruise to Fitzroy Island only Family From $212
Glass Bottom Boat Tour Instead Of Snorkeling?
Cruise, lunch PLUS view the reef from our glass bottom boat Family From $324.50
Half Day Snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef?
Snorkeling and high speed cruise aboard the Thunderbolt, for kids 8 years + Family From $324.50
Or If You Have Any Questions
Fitzroy Island Snorkeling Great Barrier Reef Special Booking Conditions
To keep your day as safe as possible there are a few restrictions you should be aware before making your booking :
- We highly recommend having your own travel insurance
- Those under 16 must travel with a guardian or parent
- You must check-in at the Cairns Reef Fleet Terminal located at 1 Spence Street no later than 20 minutes before your departure
- The beaches on Fitzroy Island are not patrolled by surf life savers
- Marine stingers are present in tropical waters from November – May and you will be provided with a stinger suit for use while snorkelling during this period